As a security officer you are responsible for assisting, directing others in an emergency situation. Here a few tips to help you effectively respond to any emergency:
1. Get the exact location of the emergency - What area is unsafe? Some call it the "hot-zone". Make sure you accurately locate the emergency scene to direct people away from it, and not into it.
2. Immediately start evacuating people from the area - Prevention is the best, first step. Reduce the potential that individuals will be injured by directing them away from the scene. If it is a fire, or chemical spill, pull the fire alarm.
3. Call 911 or have someone call 911 - While you are locating the emergency area and beginning the evacuation call 911, or direct someone to call 911.
4. Secure the area - People returning from lunch or other appointments may be unaware that an emergency is underway. Ask for assistance, posting people at entrance points, away from the danger area, to direct people to gathering points, away from the danger area.
5. Gather anyone injured in a safe location if they can be moved, where emergency responders can reach them easily.
When emergency responders arrive on the scene, your primary job will be to continue securing the perimeter and acting as a resource for emergency responders, i.e. providing them access to facilities, etc.
Member of the Guardstar Academy Staff. All Guardstar Academy staff are experienced law enforcement, security professionals and/or private investigators.